On a whim
she took to her wings
she looked through the eye of a fish
"Look you!" she said
"Yonder I wish to journey,
it looks mysterious and,
*to take wing - to fly off suddenly: to depart without warning
* look you! - please observe what I am saying
Upon the whole, seh was on the case,
she held her ground
and trained her gaze.
She tried in vain
to place a grid
upon the things
she said and did.
* Upon the whole - taking everything into consideration
* To hold her ground - to maintain ones authority or influence
She aimed her pitch and
sang in the ditch, then
talked to the horse with
"Take to your heels,
see foreign faces;
the lines will fall
in pleasant places".
- to take to one's heels - to run off
- the lines... pleasant places - I am fortunate in my worldly surroundings
Paint stripped back,
from here she knew that,
soon she would unship her oars.
Her breath evaporating,
a scotch mist lay waiting,
along the sheltered shores.
- to unship the oars - to remove the oars from teh rowlocks
- a scotch mist - a drizzling rain
The rubicon she faced
hid the future, frozen
'neath the eaves of the forest
The doors she had chosen.
- to cross or pass the rubicon - to take a decisive step to venture on a great and dangerous undertaking (The Rubicon is a small river separating Republican Italy from Cisalpine Gaul)
A year or two, no, only two weeks,
The travelling lady
was out of the woods
but still she shrieked
"T'was not a cupboard love
of a curled darling
but a nostalgic flame
for a long lost dove!"
Or so it seemed at the time.
- out of the wood - free from danger
- cupboard love - affection springing from an interested motive
- curled darlings - petted and pampered young men
- flame - a sweetheart
Her prospect bent
through rocky face
between the fallows
pitched by space
and so she cleft
and beat the hoof
at hack and heck:
alone - aloof
- to beat the hoof - to walk
- hack and heck - profusely
She wandered into Lombard Street
a china orange amidst the attic-salt
and bowls of porridge
"Look, it is the shallowest sea I have seen in ages:
Do you feel it as jelly or layers of pages?"
Her query not heard
from the bath-tub she rose
translucent and no longer patient.
- Lombard street to a china orange - something very valuable staked against something of little value
- Attic salt - wit or refined pleasantry
Painting the town red
in a colt's tooth dress,
old stones worn with smiles
and wool-gatherer's vests.
She thinks of the calm river
filling with leaves
and the shoe-polished hillside
brown-scented with teas
well, vineyards, rows of trees:
Will they remember me?
- Painted red - given over to merriment and high jinks
- To have a colt's tooth - to have juvenile tastes
- Wool-gatherer - one in an absent-minded state
At the first blush
all seemed too much
she might never had known
what a sight of things
she did own.
"Carry me to the station"
pushing her hair to one side
- At first blush - to look hastily for the first time
- A sight of things - a great number of things
She sees with half an eye
she smells with one nostril
she measured noses at the hostel
They saw eye to eye
while the sand ran out
and after a while they started to pout.
- To see with half an eye - to see with great ease
- To measure noses - to meet
- To see eye to eye - to have the same opinions on any subject
- The sand has run out - the appointed term has come to an end
I see her on the horizon
eating bread and sewing interfacing.
Stark evening night baking
sillouettes of industry.
She is thinking:
"A rolling stone gathers no moss,
so I must take time by the forelock!"
leaping upon her chariot
horses one black, one white
she rode off into the sunset.
- To take time by the forelock - to act promptly
- A rolling stone gathers no moss - a person who is always shifting about makes no money
You and The View: 12 Eye Exercises
Centennial Park, Sydney 1994
A series of interactive sculptures take the viewer on a walking circuit through many of the park's richly constructed landscapes.
The idioms in the poetry and materiality of each work, evoke the quintessential 'Journey', of being in a new place, of the ups and downs and transformations that make up travel and relationship to various places.